Wednesday, February 13, 2008

a charge to keep i have

Each day of Lent I am publishing one of Charles Wesley's hymns or poems. In my experience, the selection of Charles Wesley's hymns that we actually use in worship is very small. This is sad, because his hymns are filled with deep theological truths and great beauty.

Use these as a part of your Lenten disciplines, and share any thoughts or reactions in the comments.


Lent Day 7

A Charge to Keep I Have
(United Methodist Hymnal #413)

1.
A charge to keep I have,
a God to glorify,
a never-dying soul to save,
and fit it for the sky.

2.
To serve the present age,
my calling to fulfill;
O may it all my powers engage
to do my Master's will!

3.
Arm me with jealous care,
as in thy sight to live,
and oh, thy servant, Lord,
prepare a strict account to give!

4.
Help me to watch and pray,
and on thyself rely,
assured, if I my trust betray,
I shall forever die.

No comments: