Friday, February 22, 2008

jesus, thine all-victorious love

Each day of Lent I am publishing one of Charles Wesley's hymns or poems. In my experience, the selection of Charles Wesley's hymns that we actually use in worship is very small. This is sad, because his hymns are filled with deep theological truths and great beauty.

Use these as a part of your Lenten disciplines, and share any thoughts or reactions in the comments.


Lent Day 15

Jesus, Thine All-Victorious Love
(United Methodist Hymnal #196)

1.
Jesus, thine all victorious love
shed in my heart abroad;
then shall my feet no longer rove,
rooted and fixed in God.

2.
O that in me the sacred fire
might now begin to glow;
burn up the dross of base desire
and make the mountains flow!

3.
O that it now from heaven might fall
and all my sins consume!
Come, Holy Ghost, for thee I call,
Spirit of burning, come!

4.
Refining fire, go through my heart,
illuminate my soul;
scatter thy life through every part
and sanctify the whole.

1 comment:

Geoffrey Kruse-Safford said...

These four verses sum up Wesleyan theology so succinctly, it should be required reading - it's got three-fold grace, a Trinitarian understanding of the Godhead, and the notion of moving on to perfection.

Thanks, Rich, for putting this up.

I might steal it, later.